Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Here's a little clip that I put together for the new Gestalt book Flinch (many thanks again to the seriously awesome Detektivbyrån for their fantastic music);



I seriously cant wait to hold this book, its going to be one of the best that Gestalt has produced to date. I love seeing the quality of the books (content and print) get better and better.

Moving away from books and looking back to the digital, here's a screen of the music video I am producing and I should say finishing at the moment;
This was a great project and I hope that there will be more like it to come. I started with a comic book. Not storyboards - very unconventional, I know - but I wanted to keep it in the same vein as the Vowels book. My intention was to make storyboards after that, but the book ended up being used AS the storyboard document.

Next, I scanned the whole book and created a dummy video (I forget the technical term for this, I'm not normally an animation producer) and matched it as nicely as I could to the soundtrack.

We looked over the comic and divided it up into sections or cuts (35 in all) and decided how to tackle each cut. By this stage it was obvious that I needed help and so I was assisted by 3D artists, Animators and designers throughout the project.

Then I had coffee, a lot. 'Cause for two months I didn't sleep, working until about 3-4 in the morning each night. First all BG's were created, then keyframes for animations and then all the tween work (lots and lots of pictures).

Art was all done in Photoshop, animated in After Effects (with the much needed advice of my workmates here at Aim at Entertainment) and composited in imovie (It should be noted that I had access to Final Cut Pro and various other editing tools for this but opted to keep it simple lest I die from stress).

If I do this kind of project again, I will definitely blog about the process I use and progress the project makes. This was finished a month ago but we have been slowly polishing the thing up again and again and again for the bulk of this month and now we have a professional looking Vowels themed Yongen promotional music clip to show you all on the 20th of this month.

Phew~

No comments: